How to prevent the Bladder Cancer

22.11.2018

Bladder Cancer is not completely preventable. That's because some of the things that play a role in whether or not you get it -- like your race, ethnicity, and gender -- are out of your control. But there are some simple lifestyle changes you can control that may cut your risk

The bladder is a hollow, flexible pouch in your pelvis. Its main job is to store urine before it leaves your body. Your kidneys make pee. Tubes called ureters carry the pee from your kidneys to your bladder. When you use the bathroom, the muscles in your bladder push the urine out through a tube called the urethra. You get bladder cancer when cells inside of it grow out of control. Over time, a tumour forms. At the diagnosis, 75% of bladder cancers are just superficial and doesn't infiltrate the bladder wall. In the remaining 25% it has already spread to nearby fat and tissue. In severe cases, it can spread to distant parts of your body, including your lymph nodes, bones, lungs, or liver. Bladder cancer is rare. It accounts for just 5% of all new cancers in the U.S. The 5-year survival rate for bladder cancer is about 77%. That means that about 7 out of 10 people who are diagnosed with the disease will still be alive 5 years later. But that's just an estimate.

There are three simple lifestyle changes you can control that may cut your risk:

  • If you smoke, stop. Doctors believe tobaccoproducts cause about half of all bladder cancercases.
  • Drink lots of fluids. When you pee, you get rid of harmful chemicals that build up in your bladder. So drink up -- especially water. It may lower your cancer risk.
  • Eat more fruits and veggies. Studies show that eating lots of fruits and green, leafy vegetables lowers your risk for many types of cancer. It may help cut your risk for bladder cancer, too.

Your risk for bladder cancer can also be increased by certain workplace chemicals, arsenic, certain diabetesmedicines, and some herbal supplements. Follow all workplace safety rules and ask your doctor about any specific risk factors you may have.